Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dragonica: A Unique Feel For an MMO



Hack and slash your way through 3D dungeons in IAHGames Dragonica. This is truly a unique game with its arcade style controls and its 2D look. Dragonica is advertised as being usable on a gamepad which I thought was very strange for an MMO. When I tried out both types the gamepad was much more enjoyable.

It did take a little bit of time to set up all the controls because gamepad functionality is not built right in to the game like it should be. I found a nice guide here that did a great job showing me how to set up the controller. I decided to go with Joy2Key because Xpadder was not cooperating with Windows 7.

Anyway the game is very action packed. You are thrown in to the middle of combat a minute or two after you start playing and you are pretty much fighting off pack after pack of enemies throughout most of the game. And it really feels like an arcade game which is what I liked most about it.

There is a quest system that is pretty simple. It is usually finding people or defeating a certain number of creatures. Nothing new there.

I really enjoyed the different abilities available to each character, although the differences between the three different starting classes was not that noticeable. Many of the different abilities were basically the same thing with a different look.

I have heard the game has some really exciting PVP to offer though I didn't make it far enough to test that out. Much of the game is going through different instances which if your an instance junkie like me is a big plus. Each of the instances has a series of different difficulties that you can work through. Team work is pretty much mandatory in Dragonica if you want to complete the higher levels of the instances without being above the level range.

Overall this is a pretty fun game and highly recommended if you are getting sick of the typical WOW style MMORGs.

No comments:

Post a Comment